A quick thought

This is following on from the previous post. Coping with a hardback whilst reading in bed some of us find tricky, but the problem I have is reading at the table. Hardbacks I can cope with by propping them up on other books to get the slant, and the book then generally stays open of its own accord.

Paperbacks though are a totally different matter. You can't get the dratted things to stay open - or at least I can't, unless I deliberately break the spine, which I can't bear to do. Usually I resort to a peculiar arrangement of jam pots on their sides, propped over the bottom edge of the pages. This is fine until I want to turn the page (and I am a very fast reader) as then the whole thing has to be dismantled.

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Comments

Vanessa said…
I break the spines.... Oooh, I can hear the sharp intake of breath from up here!
Jane Badger said…
Sharp intake of breath! It was a shriek, my dear, a shriek!
Vanessa said…
And I turn down page corners... sometimes I even leave books open and face down. A rebel that's me!
Jane Badger said…
Alright. I'll come clean. I admit I do sometimes leave paperbacks open and face down.
Jodie Robson said…
I bought two things called Gimbles - you can check them out here: http://www.gimbleuk.com/

They work okay, though I only use them when my hands are really sore; I get a bit impatient with them because I read fast and I'm always having to stop to turn the page, but they are definitely better than breaking the spine!

I also got something more expensive with clear clips and a prop at the back that will take a hardback - think they sell them in Waterstones - but had to give it to my stepfather so I don't know how useful it is. Had the same stop-start problem. There's also something called a bookchair, which I haven't tried: http://www.bookchair.com/Book-Holder.php
Jane Badger said…
geraniumcat- thanks very much for that. I'll post that link to my nearest and dearest and see what surfaces in my Christmas stocking!

Popular posts from this blog

Archibald, don't eat the bedclothes

Dick Sparrow - 40 Horse Hitch, and Neil Dimmock's 46 Percherons

The Way Things Were: Pony Magazine in the 1960s