The cutlery elf

I've long had a book goblin who moves books around.  We're not visited by the sock elves much (due to my cunning plan of buying children's socks in only one colour and style, which seems to give the elves little to go on) but the cutlery elves have wrought havoc through the cutlery drawer over the years.  We've restocked with teaspoons twice, and forks and spoons go awol on a regular basis.  Not knives though.

Although I still maintain there are beings which exist by eating metal, I suppose I now have to admit they're not completely responsible for the depredations.  We cleared one of the compost bins a week or so ago and found this:





I have had a go at cleaning it, but alas some of the plating has completely gone. Sigh.  Do wonder just what else lurks in the other compost heaps, or is slowly mouldering in landfills.

Comments

I feel like a paleontologist when I go through my compost heap: I keep finding plastic dinosaurs, usually with limbs missing because they were chopped up by the lawn mower long ago and got chucked in the heap with the clippings.
Jane Badger said…
But were they plastic dinosaurs you knew about? Or did they morph into the rotting depths?
They were plastic dinosaurs I'd long forgotten about--and they didn't morph at all--they stand as shining examples (well, mud-encrusted, actually) of the staying power of plastics. On those charts about how it will take, say, a tin can 100 years to decay or what have you, they should include "Plastic dinosaurs: 500 years."
Cutlery said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Archibald, don't eat the bedclothes

Dick Sparrow - 40 Horse Hitch, and Neil Dimmock's 46 Percherons

The Way Things Were: Pony Magazine in the 1960s